11.23.2010

cassette tapes

there is no reason for this other than forced hipster irony
they're vastly inferior in every way and just offered as a rash reaction to the vinyl push
anyone who participates in this deserves the worst, bands, labels, consumers.
you're all absolute scum.

can't wait for jesu to re-release everything in this format

26 comments:

Cosmo SATAN said...

Its infinitely cheaper to put something out on cassette than on vinyl. Even a small run like 20 tapes to a 7" release. You can do it at home, with no minimum order etc etc.

There are some really good tape labels out there that have been doing this for years (especially in the Noise P.E. genre), and i'd imagine they'll continue to do so.

Anonymous said...

It's not cheaper than CD though, even in small runs, provided you know the right places. And, the internet is free. I have been holding my tongue online about the cassette thing as I've watched it grow. I'm glad to see someone on a blog I follow speak up. It is a little silly.

Luke said...

Yeah at this point I'm just waiting for everything to be digital and free. Anything else is starting to feel like a waste of resources.

Sombrero_man said...

They only serve to fuel unwarranted elitism, shit stinks.

Gregory said...

wut? where would death/black metal demos be without tapes?

Meth Wyzzyrd said...

thank you for saying what ive been feeling for soooo long. fuck tapes. every douche i know that likes them is someone id be embarrassed to call a friend.

Adam Rauf said...

I think jed's talking about indie hipster releases, you know, the ones like best coast, etc. [I like best coast though].

I guess if you make a release obscure and hard to get, it's supposed to be worth more and blah-de-blah.

personally, I don't mind cassettes, as I've heard great band demos that way, and they're easy to self-produce [not THAT much easier than CD, but less people are inclined to copy/rip it I guess].

Blast Hardcheese said...

If you distribute by cassette then you better be living out of a cardboard box eating Noah's Bagels out of the dumpster behind their place.

I think even the hobo behind Winkies could afford to distribute digitally now though so really there's no excuse.

But seriously, do cassette people have some kind of manifesto or something? Like . . . "I choose to record on shitty magnetic tape because its more personal than digital?" I thought that cassettes were what you used when you had no other method of distribution. People prefer to live in the 80's?

Alkahest said...

I love cassettes. They are higher audio quality than cd and about the same as vinyl. They are INFINITELY cheaper to make than cds or vinyl (whoever said that they cost the same as cds doesn't know what they are talking about). They are cheaper to the consumer than cds or vinyl (usually about $5) a piece. And best of all, they are hard to rip to your computer so they take longer to get online so people actually buy them and *gasp* support the artists.

Sombrero_man said...

What a lot of horseshit.

Black Adam said...

The people who want music on cassettes are the same people who hate a band once they get big or only like an early e.p by the band rather than the latest release. They are twatty cunts.

lkajfdslkjdfo said...

well I still listen to my old tapes so I dunno. I like tapes as objects.

jaci said...

yeah, we get it, everything that a hipster touches sucks.

bottom line: it's a type of format in which to listen to music. care less.

Sombrero_man said...

Steam's coming out of Jaci's ears.

jedlucid said...

so is a fucking 8-track!!!
the point is its a reactionary trend based on the success of lps


this is like when joey from blossom started to dress grunge, thanks guys
its not cool anymore
and you fucking douchebags ruined it

Gregory said...

you people must not listen to metal

Sombrero_man said...

I listen to plenty of it, I just loathe cassettes.

lkajfdslkjdfo said...

eight tracks must return

Blast Hardcheese said...

It is personally rewarding to complain about stupid phenomena.

An Even Weirder Move said...

and what's the deal with all these emo haircuts
i mean
seriously
jeez

Gregory said...

yeah dude... and all these fucking faggots in tight pants. WHAT THE FUCK>!

Black Adam said...

Fuck Tapes anyway,that`s so last year,this season it`s all about the Gramophone!

Blast Hardcheese said...

I can't wait for tin-type photography to be in style again.

G_G said...

"Blogger Alkahest said: I love cassettes. They are higher audio quality than cd..." You're a fucking moron if you actually think this. Stop regurgitating what some other asshole said and actually use your fucking ears, dipshit.

Alkahest said...

http://www.ehow.com/facts_5509640_cassette-vs-cd-quality.html

Unknown said...

if you dont like them.... dont buy them. im sure youll just download it and burn it to a cd-r anyway. why the fuck does it matter? i like the format and i will continue to buy them.... regardless of what you "hipper than thou" internet nerds think.